VODKA and GIN!

OK so I enjoy a tipple, but not at $50 and over a bottle...  So here's the thing - get the cheapest vodka you can (Dan Murphy under $20) lime or lemon and spices to make flavoured vodka or add juniper berries to make GIN.  You can use Vodka as a preservative when you make remedies, and you will have some left over.   I bought a number of limes from the specials tray in my local green grocers.  I love limes, you can freeze them... but what else

With ONE lime.
1. I cut it in half and used the juice to separate the curds and whey and made cheese
2. I used the left over skins with flesh to make spiced lime vodka/gin (recipe below)
3. The left overs from one half  in the garden to attract the slugs
4. The other half I will strip out the left over vodka infused flesh and use in yoghurt, and desserts.
5. The peel - dehydrate for use in steaming vegetables...

I am sure there are more uses, but this is how I make sure that every little thing is used.

This is my LIME or LEMON INFUSED VODKA recipe.

Ingredients:
About 250ml vodka (up to you).
Half a lemon or lime as above
Half a teaspoon of coriander seeds
(plus 3 teaspoons of dried juniper berries if you want to make GIN)
Quarter teaspoon peppercorns
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick

Method: (Keep a record of how much of everything in case you want to repeat).
Sterilise jar or bottle with boiling water.
Put everything in a jar or bottle and leave it in a cool dark place for a week or two.
You will need to taste it every now and again to make sure it is not dominated by the lime.  You can take out the lime and leave the spices.
When the taste is what you want, filter through a coffee filter or a filter water jug if you want to make it super clear.
Then bottle - create a label? - and test it out on your nearest and dearest. A gift for a friend, a Christmas in July special.

Comments

Popular Posts