CHEESE AND BUBBLY

This may not "float your boat" as they say, but I love it.

I have been making cheese ever since my children were tiny tots and now, for the cost of one litre of cheap milk (last week I paid 10cents for a litre in Coles, and this week 86cents, but whilst most litres of milk are $1.80 and upwards I feel I am ahead.  I don't pay full price unless I really have to.  I buy the milk when it is on special, make the cheese and store in in a jar of olive oil.  Years ago I used to supply the local supermarket with my cheese, but now, with all the insurance issues, I don't even try.

Ingredients/method.
1 litre of LOW FAT high calcium cheese.
2 tablespoons of vinegar.

1. Heat the milk (in a microwave is fine) to at least 75C.  this usually takes three blasts of 3 minutes checking the temperature each time.

2. When it reaches the required temperature add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar.  Doesn't have to be made by virgins.  Any old vinegar will do!

3. Leave for about 15 minutes to half an hour  - this time is not critical, but not less than this.

4. Strain through muslin for about 10 minutes - then fold the corners of the muslin together and squeeze all the moisture out of the cheese.  You will now have a lump that resembles the cheese in the photo above.

5. Then cut into 20gram slices and squeeze into balls,
place in a jelly bag or "freggie" fabric bag (you can see mine in the photo above) and hang in the fridge for a few days.

6. Then gently pop into a jar of herbed vinegar.  I use chives, basil, peppercorns, cajun spices, a little chilli.  But the flavour is up to you.

They are safe and cosy there for a very long time, but I go through a lump of this cheese like the one above (220grams)  in about seven  days...less if I have friends over.  Cost - 75cents plus spices.

I serve it with dry biscuits, quince paste, Jerusalem artichoke picked, pickled Lebanese cucumbers... and Jerusalem artichoke pesto.  It is a fantastic lunch, especially with a glass of bubbly.




Comments

Popular Posts